August is the Sunday of summer.
I have fourteen precious days left in California. Fourteen! I need to have a proper goodbye with my beloved state. To bid Cali adieu, I’ll have crab cakes benedict at Bill’s Cafe, hike through Muir Woods, stuff my face with pastries at Bouchon Bakery, bask in the sun on the beach, and dine at my favorite eatery in town, my parent’s house.
This is a really exciting time in my life. I’m incredibly nervous and naturally a little sad to be leaving, but nevertheless, excited. I have been craving good chili for the past week and decided to cater to my craving. However, this is no time for some boring ol’ chili. Exciting times call for exciting foods, which is why I made turkey chili with cannellini beans and lentils! I set great store by my new chili recipe, and it surely did not let me down. If you are tired of your old chili recipe and want something new and healthy, give this a try.
Every bite is so delicious! I could eat my weight in this chili. It’s not too thick and not too runny – it’s just right. Goldilocks would be pleased.
My love for green foods is celebrated in this chili.
Let the chili simmer for one hour – it will thicken up nicely as it cooks.
Soft vegetables, delicious beans & lentils, and healthy protein all in one bowl.
This is something you could quickly whip up on a weekday. Plus, it’s very hearty and quite healthy.
Some warm corn bread would get along very nicely with this chili.
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1¼ lbs ground lean turkey
- ¾ cup (about 4 cloves) shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 oz canned mild whole green chiles, diced
- 1 cup green lentils
- 15 oz canned low-sodium cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinse and drained
- 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- sour cream
- grated cheddar jack cheese
- thinly sliced green onions and/or coarsely chopped cilantro
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat up the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the ground turkey and cook until it's no longer pink, while breaking up the meat with a spoon or spatula. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Add the shallots, celery, and green bell peppers, and season with a little salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the lentils, cannellini beans, crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, green chiles, and all the spices. Stir together and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, then simmer for 30 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally. Cover and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream, cheese, and green onions and/or cilantro, then serve.