Ni hao from Wichita, Kansas!
It has been a wild few days, packed with lots of travel and family time.
Our first night in town, Mama U, Karl, little brother Evan, and I shared a fleece blanket on the couch and watched The University of Kansas volleyball team play in the semi-finals. They sadly lost, but we had a fun time snuggling up together.
Over the weekend, we journeyed to the tiny town of Sterling to attend the sweetest wedding. Karl’s cousin was getting married! The reception was in Uncle Dave’s barn, which housed tractors the size of dinosaurs just a few days prior to the wedding. They really spruced up the place and turned it into a beautiful reception space. So much love and happiness was in the air.
These busy times calls for quick entrees and easy side dishes. I’m giving you all a tasty, healthy side to serve at your dinner. Garlic and lemon green beans, a favorite in my house!
Now it’s on to a little more Christmas shopping and holiday baking…
- ½ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 12 oz green beans
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- a pinch of red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat up extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the green beans and stir for 6 minutes, until bright green and slightly soft.
- Reduce the heat to medium, then add the garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir for another two minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, stir for another minute to incorporate. Plate, then serve warm.
And here are gingerbread houses made by Karl and me! The structural integrity of mine (the first one) is questionable…
What a healthy and yummy dish! And those gingerbread houses are seriously cute. Happy Holidays!
I’m still mourning the fact that I couldn’t meet you in Wichita!!!! ://// And I really want to attend a barn wedding, but too bad that most of my friends prefer traditional weddings, haha. And I love me some good ol’ green beans. Anything green, really! Heck, even my wedding was pastel green themed 😉 Stay safe darling, and happy and blessed 2016 to you guys~