Why do I love making everything from scratch? Because a) you get to cater all the flavors to your liking and b) you are in complete control of what goes into your body.
It’s an investment to buy all the ingredients at first and it probably takes a little more time. But this way you are free to do whatever you want and experimenting is half the fun of cooking.
Jimmy Dean’s breakfast sausage is delicious, no denying that. But it was time to breakup with Jimmy and make my own breakfast sausage. I wanted to create a healthier version that tasted even better.
I started with lean ground pork and researched what spices goes into breakfast sausage. After looking through a couple of recipes, it became clear that sage was a must. I took a look into my spice drawer and pulled out other ingredients that I thought would be great in breakfast sausage. Dried rosemary, marjoram, brown sugar, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, and of course, salt & pepper.
I ended up with delicious breakfast sausage patties that didn’t make me feel guilty after eating. This is the sign of a good and healthy relationship.
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ⅛ teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- olive oil for frying
- In a small bowl, mix together all the seasonings.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground pork with the mixed seasonings. Mix it well.
- With your hands, make patties and place them on a piece of parchment paper or plate.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, place the patties in the skillet.
- Cook each side for 5 minutes, then serve.