Some nights, I’m just the worst about dinner. I perseverate on what to do, and the narrative in my head goes a little something like this:
I want to make dinner, but I’m hungry now. So maybe we should go out for dinner? Well, I don’t know if I want to sit down at a table for more than 20 minutes, and I’m pretty sure I’ll want to immediately sprawl out on the rug right after my last bite to quietly digest with my eyes closed. So maybe takeout then? No, if I’m going to eat at home, I might as well cook. But what to cook?!
Enter these roasted chicken thighs. They silence the voice inside my head –waffling back and forth about what to do for food — and save dinner.
This dish is so easy to put together. It requires only a few ingredients and even fewer kitchen tools (e.g. baking sheet, bowl, and a ziplock bag if have them). You can round out this dish by adding broccolini (my latest veggie crush) to the roasting pan or any other quick roasting vegetable. This step is totally optional if you’d rather serve this up with a salad or some other side dish.
After 30ish minutes in the oven, you get crispy chicken thighs covered in flecks of lemon pepper and thyme and garlicky olive oil. This dish is a true hero. Whenever I’m having a dinner emergency, it always comes to the my rescue.
Roasted Garlic & Thyme Chicken Thighs
- 2 lbs chicken thighs bone-in, skin-on
- 7 g fresh thyme sprigs
- 4-6 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper freshly ground
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz broccolini (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients, except the chicken, in a bowl. Place the chicken in a gallon-size ziplock bag or in the bowl. If you have time, allow the meat to marinade in the fridge for 1 hour (or up to 24 hours).
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Place chicken thighs with the marinade on a baking sheet or dish. Roast for 30 to 35 mins.
- (Optional) If adding broccolini: after 30 mins of roasting, take the pan out of the oven. Add the broccolini to the pan with the chicken, return the pan to the oven and roast for an additional 5 to 7 mins.